POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Panoramic rendering : Re: Panoramic rendering Server Time
5 Sep 2024 08:16:31 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Panoramic rendering
From: Margus Ramst
Date: 2 Jun 2001 17:06:43
Message: <3b195563@news.povray.org>
"Jason Jong" <nos### [at] redshiftcom> wrote:

> Is there any way I can render a 360 degree hemispherical view in POV-Ray?
> I want to map a POV sky onto a sky dome in 3D Studio Max.

You have two options, as far as I can see.

1) Use the "fisheye" camera with a 360 degree angle; this will give you a
circular image that can't be mapped to a sphere as-is with the standard
spherical projection (which is what I assume Max also uses). Rather, you
first have to convert it from polar coordinates to rectangular coordinates.
I know Photoshop has a filter to do this, not sure about other image
manipulation programs.

2) Get MegaPOV (http://nathan.kopp.com/) and use its spherical camera
projection (the MegaPOV manual documents its parameters). This will give you
a rectangular image that is directly mappable to a sphere with standard
spherical mapping.

--
Margus Ramst

Personal e-mail: mar### [at] peakeduee